2010 Duathlon World Championships Edinburgh, Scotland

2010 Duathlon World Championships Edinburgh, Scotland

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Setting priorities, goals and finding balance.

Once we establish why we run/train and where our inspiration emerges; we can go about setting life priorities and goals to attain balance. For example my priorities are; family, work then training/racing.  I just finished reading the Four Agreements, written by Don Miguel Ruiz, view this website for a further explanation http://www.toltecspirit.com/ or read the book; http://www.miguelruiz.com/.  I feel this path is helpful with finding/creating balance in life and training. However, there are likely many other methods for reaching this same point. The following paragraphs are my perspective and the derived methods for finding balance in my life. Perhaps, this perspective can be a helpful to you as well.

To set goals and utilize the “First Agreement” talked about in the book: Be impeccable with your word.  How would one utilize this in training and setting goals?  Begin by making a statement to the universe (write it down too) of what you aim to obtain from your training and racing.  Here are some examples; 1.) I would like to find peace of mind and relaxation from performing training sessions. 2.) I aim to challenge and better myself through the experiences I encounter in training and competition. 3.) I will do my best to prepare myself for the goals that I aim to achieve through intelligent preparation of my body and mind. 4.) I will train to be the best that I am capable of within the time that I allow myself for training and accept the outcome, gracefully.

Further example of being impeccable with my word, for example; I will set my alarm and get up for training runs, bike rides or swims that I have planned for that week.  I will eat a healthy balanced meal to sustain myself to aid in recovery and avoid injury.  Next, I will train at the paces which I set out to do that day, according to the training plan which I designed (or had designed for me) and have committed to completing. However, more importantly, when I am tired or other priorities arise, I will do my best to rest and recover or adjust my training to meet my priorities in the order which I have assigned them. If something comes up, I will address my higher priorities by skipping the workout and attend to them.  Essentially, adjust as needed.

Now, utilizing the second agreement; Take nothing personal!  In my opinion, this will be what sets one free from race-day anxiety as an athlete; run, swim, bike, train, race, etc, for yourself and aim to satisfy yourself first before thinking about the expectations of others.  Be impervious to negativity, high expectations and even praise from others because the search for the approval from them will not be the secret to happiness.  Yes, praise feels great and it is a nice gesture to give. However, the goal is to be happy and satisfied without any of this energy or praise. Be happy with giving your best and be satisfied with the outcome knowing you gave your best in that moment.  When we compete, we line up against other people and push ourselves to our limits and in the end; there can be only one person that ends up first, in an age group, division, sex, etc.  This is reality; winning is fun and very uplifting but it should not be a way to find happiness. For a professional, the priority is higher in racing because this is their job.  However for the semi-pro, elite, age-grouper, beginner, there is so much gained simply from the time that we spend, outdoors, with a friend, solo, at an event, surrounded by the fun and excitement.  Results are only a component of our athletic endeavors.  We are aiming to be more fit, healthy, overcome challenges and to find happiness.  Aim for improvements in yourself and the rest will follow!  Expectations will change as we age, beating a personal best will likely be less within grasp and therefore, it is essential to be happy with the simple movement of our body through the world (even if stationary on a treadmill).

The third agreement is: Avoid making assumptions.  This could be as simple as; using the same training plan, nutrition, or mantra that works for someone else. It may not work well for one but not the another!  We are all unique, mentally and physically.  We all have different, genetics, hormone profiles, weight, height, bone structure, posture, dexterity, flexibility, strength and mental toughness.  Many of these things, we can change or alter while others factors we can do nothing about.  These factors all lead us to the fourth agreement.

The fourth agreement is; Always do your best!  Whether parenting, working, learning, or performing an easy bike session, stick to your plan, goal, principles, credo, etc.  Once you prioritize, it will be easier to allocate your energy to family, work and training. Free yourself from the expectations of the world and allow yourself to create and shape the best and most unique athlete/person you can be. Prioritize, then set goals for meeting all of those priorities in your life and plan how you will be the best at each priority.  Be grateful for every moment spent alive and moving through the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment